Starr Percussion Carbine
Issued to the Federal cavalry during the Civil War, this weapon is a good example of a Starr carbine, a breech loading, .54 caliber, percussion model weapon produced by the Starr Arms Company of Yonkers, New York. The first shipment of 1000 Starr percussion carbines was delivered to the Ordnance Dept in September 1863, and in total 25,603 such weapons were purchased by the US government.
Manufactured between 1862 and 1865, the Starr percussion carbines were all .54 caliber breechloaders fitted with 21â€ long, round tapered barrels. The carbine employed a split breech, drop block mechanism that allowed the trooper to insert a linen cased cartridge into the chamber of the breech for loading. Upward motion of the operating lever / triggerguard closed the breech, and ignition was activated with the striking of a percussion cap by the external hammer. The weapon measured 37Â½â€ long and weighed 7 lbs. 6 oz. The iron lockplate and frame were casehardened and the barrel blued.
This original specimen carbine features a two-piece black walnut stock with an 8â€ long fore-end secured by a single brass barrel band. Has a 14Â½â€ long buttstock with a brass buttplate. Case colors remain on the lock and the barrel wears a light plum patina. Maker stampings on the iron lockplate are clear and read, â€œSTARR ARMS CO. / YONKERS, N.Y.â€ in two lines. Barrel surface exhibits the inspector's initials "HGS" (H.G. Shaw). "STARR'S PATENT / SEPT. 14TH 1858" is stamped on the barrel tang. The top of the breech in area of the nipple is heavily pitted. A single iron sling ring is mounted on the left side of the receiver. Mechanics crisp and bore has good rifling. Wood has acquired its normal share of dings and surface nicks. No cracks or inspector cartouches visible.
When ordering reproduction firearms from Regimental Quartermaster, please be aware of the following: