The British .577 Snider was the most widely used of the Snider varieties, (the action invented by the American Jacob Snider) being adopted by Britain as an alteration/conversion system for its ubiquitous P/53 rifle-musket muzzle loading arms. In trials, the Snider P/53 conversions proved both more accurate than original P/53s and much faster firing as well. From 1866 on the rifles were converted in large numbers at Enfield. The Mark III rifles were newly made, this one was converted from a 1861 dated Enfield, but with new steel barrels (clearly marked), flat nosed hammers and are the version equipped with a latch locking breech block. The Snider served throughout the British Empire, including India, Australia, New Zealand and the Dominion of Canada, until its gradual phase out by the Martini-Henry, beginning in 1874 but not being completed with volunteer and militia forces until the late 1880's.
DISTINGUISHING CHARECTERISTICS: This Snider is a beautiful survivor of the era, and was professionally cleaned by John Zimmerman of Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. There are no cracks or significant dings in the stock and there are a plethora of British Proofs and stamps. The cartouche on the butt, '1885 FORT WILLIAM ARSENAL 2', indicates that this weapon was removed from British Service and refurbished at Fort William in Calcutta, India. It is 100% mechanically viable; however, we do not recommend this weapon for live fire without having it checked out by a blackpowder gunsmith. A beautiful arm for any collector!