In 1879, the Imperial German Federal
Government (Deutsches Kaiser Reich) decided to introduce a common Army and Navy
Revolver for four different Armies, the
PreuÃŸen, Bayern, Sachsen and WÃ¼rttemberg. This model is the M1883 standard-issue sidearm with the
Imperial German Army until 1908 when it was eventually replaced by the
classic Luger 9mm semi-automatic handgun. The Model 1883 was a follow-up
and improved form of the earlier Model 1879 Reichsrevolver, better
engineered with a shortened barrel by Johann Nikolaus von Dreyse's
company. The pistol saw service from the late 1800s into the 1940s and,
because of their availability, the line was used in both World War 1
(1914-1918) and World War 2 (1939-1945) to varying degrees where they
proved themselves reliable weapons despite their age and plainness.
The 'GF' beside the serial number on the barrel lug indicates that it was accepted by the Bayerische Gewehrfabrik Amberg. The backstrap is marked with the Regimental Identifier: "BLFM 8.35. B.4.A.7.72", which identifies it as the Bavarian 4th Artillery Regiment, 7th Company, Gun# 72. It has a 4-1/2" barrel with fixed sights, double and single action. The caliber is 10.55mm (sometimes called 10.6) and is comparable to the Russian .44. The crank on the left side acts as the safety for the weapon, securing the base/cylinder pin and additionally blocking the hammer from cocking. The bluing has faded but is still visible on the revolver, significant bluing on the cylinder. All serial numbers are crisp with minimal wear marks on the piece. Lanyard ring is present and checkered grips, which were added by the individual, are crisp as well. As with most German-made guns during the 1800s, EVERY PIECE has a stamped part number. Weapon is in perfect operating condition...but it is recommended to have the weapon inspected by a gunsmith before firing live rounds.